Set Up Donor-Advised Funds with Greater Horizons
Create and sustain your clients’ legacies with donor-advised funds.
Donor-advised funds make it easy to help your clients who are passionate about continuing to support their favorite charities as a part of their ongoing legacy. Our donor-advised funds not only provide a value-added service, but also make a meaningful impact on your clients and the causes most near and dear to their hearts.
Greater Horizons is nationally recognized for our ability to handle complex charitable transactions. Both you and your clients will have access to a knowledgeable staff of professionals who empower donors to become organized and efficient philanthropists.
The Conversation Your Clients and Their Next Generations Will Appreciate
If charitable giving is part of your client’s estate plan, have a conversation about donor-advised funds and Greater Horizons. Donor-advised funds allow your client to name successor advisors to their fund. Many donors choose to involve their kids and grandkids in their giving – creating philanthropists of the next generation while allowing you to create relationships with your clients and their heirs. We are happy to work with generations of givers.
What is a Donor-Advised Fund?
Our donor-advised funds make charitable giving easy, efficient and rewarding without unnecessary rules or limitations.
- Your clients can choose to invest their assets in the Greater Horizons’ investment pools, or, if the fund's assets will exceed $100,000, their financial advisor can manage the investments.
- Your clients contribute cash, stock or other complex assets to the fund and their charitable dollars grow tax free.
- Your clients receive online access to their fund and are able to easily request grants, track the fund’s charitable activity and access quarterly fund statements.
- Your clients can name successor advisors to their fund, involving future generations in their charitable goals and giving, allowing you to establish and foster connections with the next generation.
Identify Your Ideal Clients
Think about your clients who fit the descriptions below – they might be an ideal fit for a donor-advised fund. We often work with clients who:
- Want to create and leave a legacy for future generations
- Desire a charitable tax deduction now with the flexibility to make distributions in the future
- Want to grow their contributions tax-free over time
- Are in a transition phase of life – empty nest, nearing retirement, involved in estate planning
- Plan to sell a private company
- Have high capital gains tax exposure
- Are private about their wealth and/or giving
- Are too busy to handle the administrative side of giving
Bequest: Name Your Client’s Fund as a Beneficiary in an Estate Plan
If you have a client who wants to name their fund at Greater Horizons as a beneficiary of their will or trust, life insurance policy or retirement plan account, the following may be helpful in completing their estate planning documents or beneficiary designation forms.
After describing what your client is leaving to the fund (i.e., a percentage of the estate/trust/account or a specific dollar amount), simply say it will pass "to Greater Horizons for the following component fund: [name of your client’s fund]."
Our staff will be happy to work with you and your client to establish a fund during your client’s lifetime to receive assets at their death. By working together ahead of time, we can ensure your client’s fund will carry out their charitable goals beyond their lifetime.
As a reminder, Greater Horizons is a 501(c)(3) public charity. Our tax identification number (EIN) is 20-0849590.
Questions? We're here to help.
Senior Corporate Counsel
Contact Corey and Andrea at email@example.com or 866.719.7886.