A new year offers a moment to consider the past and dream of the future. What are you dreaming about and how might your philanthropy change in 2022?
You might consider the following questions when setting your philanthropic intentions for 2022:
- What excites and inspires you? What are the missions and organizations that align most closely with the values most central to you?
- What change do you want in the world? Similarly, what are the environments, locations, communities, or other spaces that you want to preserve for future generations?
- How do you want to be a part of the change or preservation you seek? Philanthropy includes time, talent, treasure, and ties. How might your efforts and intentions be enhanced through volunteerism, advocacy, and making connections for the organizations that matter most to you?
- Will you engage all your philanthropic tools? What resources do you have to give this year? And how will you deploy them?
Once you’ve considered aspirational goals, perhaps consider a plan or budget for your time, treasure, talents and ties.
Ongoing Support: For the causes you’ve supported in the past, how much will you give this year?
- What organizations do you want to have a deeper relationship with?
- With whom will you build trust in 2022, and how will you help those organizations reach their goals?
- How can you expand your support to new organizations in the same sector?
- Are there upcoming capital or other major campaigns that you want to support?
Supporting Your Network: How will you answer the call of friends and family pursuing their own charitable goals?
- From neighborhood door-to-door fundraising to attending signature events with friends or volunteering with colleagues, how will you allocate your time and financial resources to the causes that are important to the people closest to you?
Meeting Responsive Needs: In times of crisis, how will you empower nonprofits to meet the needs of those they serve?
- Will you set aside funds and time for responsive philanthropy?
- How can you hone your disaster-giving response skills?
Engaging in New Causes: How can you be intentional about expanding the array of causes you support?
- What have you learned recently that inspires you to support new organizations?
- How much of your philanthropic budget will be allocated to supporting new-to-you organizations?
- Who or what has influenced you to support these causes?
How you will you give in 2022?
Authored by: Gwen Wurst, Senior Philanthropic Advisor